29 Weeks - GTT and Check Up
This week I had my 28 week GTT done (Glucose Tolerance Test), which involves 3 hours at the hospital. I am given a blood test, then have to drink a glucose drink, have another blood test an hour later, and then again another hour after that. I had to fast from 10pm the previous night, and by the end of the 3 hours, I thought I was either going to pass out or eat my own arm off!!!
I also had my check up with the midwives, who were concerned about my fundal height, which is the measurement between my pelvic bone and the top of my uterus. I started to panic when the midwife called in another midwife for a second opinion, and then she in turn called in a doctor for a final opinion. I ended up having a AFI scan, which is an ultrasound to measure my amniotic fluid index, just in case I was suffering from pre-eclampsia and was retaining too much fluid, and also had the baby's heart rate monitored. Bubs and I passed both tests, thankfully.
So, the outcome is I am back in a few days time to get the results of my GTT test, and to see a doctor. They think that there may be a few reasons for the large fundal height - I could have gestational diabetes, which causes the baby to be large; I could just have a large uterus due to my previous pregnancies; there could be something else wrong with the baby, causing it to be larger than normal; or I could just have a very large baby (fingers crossed!!!).
So, Tuesday was a bit of a horrible day, with a few tears, but I am more positive after reading up on the net about fundal height, gestational diabetes, etc. I have however decided to be prepared in case it is the worst case scenario, and for some reason I am admitted to hospital. I have washed all the baby clothes & cot sheets/blankets, and I have even started packing my suitcase for hospital. JUST IN CASE!
The cot was delivered last week, and I set it up with some help from the kids (hubby was off doing the Oxfam Trailwalker 100km walk), and I absolutely love it! It is set up next to our bed, and I find it extremely terrifying to look at it and imagine a baby sleeping in it - OH MY GOD!
After the upsetting appointment at the hospital, I decided that I would finish up work 3 weeks earlier than expected. I am just so exhausted and am really struggling with all the running around I am doing with school, kinder & taking hubby to & from work, which is the difficulty with being a one car family. I am really finding it difficult to be bothered, or even have the time to cook our dinners at night, and although I don't enjoy cooking, I feel guilty about it!
I am therefore finishing up at the end of April and taking 2 years maternity leave. Very scary, but I am soooooo looking forward to just being a Mum & housewife. Hopefully the finances won't be too stretched and I will be able to enjoy it. The kids are looking forward to me not going to work too. Not sure hubby is, as he is stressing about the xBox time he will miss out on now!!!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home