Week 1 & 2.... The Baby Blues
I am writing this post 3 weeks after the birth of Owen. The first two weeks of his life are a blur.... I had honestly forgotten how terrible the sleep deprivation that comes with a newborn is! I am breastfeeding & Owen is waking every 3 hours for a feed. I had also forgotten that they feed so much early on. In fact, I have forgotten most things associated with newborns!! Luckily, he is a good baby & hardly cries except when hungry.
Unfortunately the "baby blues" hit me hard when I arrived home from hospital for about a week. The thing that upset me the most was that none of my friends visited me in hospital. I had chosen a hospital that was quite a distance from home, so I assured many friends that it was okay to wait until I came home to visit. It never occurred to me that NONE of them would visit, and I found the evening visiting hours at the hospital on my own quite upsetting. It wasn't that I felt lonely or anything - I just felt sorry & guilty for Owen, being the third child & not having any visitors. Even looking at the cards received with gifts, there are only about a quarter as many as Callum (our first born) received when he arrived. Thankfully the "blues" have passed, along with my stints of crying to myself in the shower or toilet for no particular reason, probably just out of sheer exhaustion.
Hubby Greg has been a wonder, especially with the cooking of dinners. But I still don't think he realises just how hard it has been for me with the healing from the caesarian & the lack of sleep, as well as trying to get the breastfeeding down pat.
The kids are besotted by Owen. They absolutely adore him & have accepted him into the family, which is a blessing. I thought it would be a more difficult process, especially with Paige.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home